Alec Rogers – a Lodsworth bootmaker & repairer

Drawing by Phoebe Somers, published in local newspaper about 1977
Drawing by Phoebe Somers, from an article by her published in a local newspaper about 1977

Alec Rogers was born in Lodsworth, at what is now Tudor Cottage, in September 1896, the only son of Mr and Mrs Jim Rogers. He went to Midhurst Grammar School and on leaving was gardener at River House to Lady Cunliffe until joining the army for the First World War. He lost a leg in action in 1916 and, after being fitted with an artificial leg, he underwent training in boot making and repairing. In 1918 he opened a boot maker’s shop at his parents’ home, Church Cottage in Lodsworth, which became well known in the district. In 1934 he married Ruth Poole, who was Lady’s maid to Lady Cunliffe; they continued to live in Church Cottage and he kept his boot and shoe business going until 1961.

Alec Rogers loved everything to do with the country, and was a great gardener. He was passionately fond of all sports and was Secretary of the Football and Cricket Clubs for many years. He enjoyed reading, and was well read. He was a leading member of the ”Oddities Concert Party” of Lodsworth. For many years he was one of Lodsworth’s bell ringers and he was a member of the church choir for 30 years. From Outlook’s inception in 1963 until 1977 he provided its monthly weather reports.

He died on 27 June 1978 aged 81 years and was buried in the lower churchyard.

Source: Outlook, July 1978, p.9

Exploring the history of our village