Lodsworth’s buildings

We are adding basic information here about the histories of buildings in Lodsworth parish. If you have such information or photographs of the church & chapels, houses, schools, shops, licenced premises, etc please contact us.

Outline histories of buildings in Lodsworth parish

The buildings are listed in alphabetical order by road or location and within this in alphabetical order of the present building names. To search for a property, type its present or previous name, road or location into the search box. The sources of information are listed below the table.

Road or LocationPresent nameOutline historyListedSources
Church Lane
ApplegarthBungalow built by Bayley Bros.13
Carpenters CottageC17. Carpenters & Lannowes Cottages were originally one house. During C20 they were converted first into 3 cottages, then into 2II2,6
Church CottageC18. Was two cottages until 1980s. One was at one time the village post office. Eastern one was a cobbler's shop. Old insurance markII2,4,6,8
Court CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building with red brick infilling. Western section may be C16. Until 1967 it comprised two cottages named 'Ivy Cottage' and 'No.2 Ivy Cottage'II2,6,12
EwersPreviously 3 cottages, dating originally from c.1450II
Ivy CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building with red brick infilling. C18 and C19 extensions. Until 1971 named 'No.1 Ivy Cottage'II2,6,12
Lannowes CottageC17. Carpenters & Lannowes Cottages were originally one house. During C20 they were converted first into 3 cottages, then into 2II2,6
The Old NurseryThe Old Nursery and Tudor Cottage were one building, C17 or earlier timber-framed building with painted brick and plaster infilling and diagonal braces. Mounting block. A pair of cottages, since demolished, was located behind themII2,6
St Peter’s churchChancel with vestry to north and chapel to south. North and south transepts, nave with aisles and west tower. Nave and tower C13, chancel C14, transepts and aisles C19II*1,6
The StudioBuilt as an artist's studio about 1907-8 for artist Charles Sims. Converted into a house in 1926
Tudor CottageThe Old Nursery and Tudor Cottage were one building, C17 or earlier timber-framed building with painted brick and plaster infilling and diagonal braces. Mounting block. A pair of cottages, since demolished, was located behind themII2,6
Fernhurst Road, Lickfold
Gentils FarmHome of Nicholas Gentil in 1327. Present building C17 or earlier. Ground floor stone rubble with red brick dressings and quoins above tile-hung. Two barns to north eastII2,4,6
Gentilshurst
Hoewyck Farm Home of William de Howic in 1327. Present building probably C17 house with C18 barn. Once part of Pitshill EstateII2,4,6
Lickfold House
Lower Gentilshurst Farm
Gills Lane
Heath End FarmPreviously in Selham parish
Lodsworth HouseDesigned and built for Hasler Hollist by country house architect Edward Blore in 18389
Sunshine CottagePreviously 'Laurel Cottage'
Woolhurst FarmC17 farmhouseII2,6
Gosdens Heath & Moorland
Gosdensheath
Gosdensheath Farm
The LodgePreviously, at the time of Col. Hollist, the lodge to Lodsworth House, with a carriageway joining the two4
Moorland Farm
Moorland Farm Cottages
Halfway Bridge
Custard House
266 Halfway Bridge
Halfway Bridge Cottage
The Halfway Bridge InnC18. Brick dressings, quoins and modillion eaves cornice on ashlar base. Previously 'The George and Dragon'II2,6
The Mill House
The Oaks
Highstead Lane & Bexley Hill
Baldrude (Overnoons) Original late C18. May have been rebuilt C197
The Bungalow (Overnoons) Late C197
Elidge FarmLate C17. Semi-detached with Upper Elidge7
Gunters FarmC16 with modern wing behindII2,7
Hill TopBuilt between 1862 and 18717
NightingalesProbably mid C17. Previously 'Bexley Hill Cottage'7
The NookLate C18. Previously 'Black Cottage'7
The Old CottageLate C16 or C17. Eastern half demolished c.1860II2,7
OvernoonsOriginal C17; present C19. Previously 'Abernoons' and 'Goatshurst'7
Paradise CottageBuilt by 1841. Previously semi-detached7
Rose CottageBuilt by 18417
TanglewoodLate C18. Previously 'Landswick'7
Tree TopsBuilt before 18517
Upper ElidgeLate C17.Semi-detached with Elidge Farm7
White Cottagec.1845. Previously shop and beer houseII2,7
Hollihurst Road
The Butty
Duck CottageRemoved from Duck Lane, Midhurst and rebuilt here c.1960
Hopewell House
Point Cottage
Stonehurst
Leggatt Hill
KeetsProbably C17. Stone rubble with red brick dressings and quoins. Half-hipped tiled roofII2,6
Leggatt Hill Cottages
Leggatt Hill FarmT-shaped C17 or earlier timber-framed buildingII2,6
Little Leggatt Hill
Lod House & BungalowPreviously 'Oak Tree Cottages'
Salmonsbridge Farm & CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building and barnII2,6
Lickfold
Cobdens Farm
Cobdens Farm Cottage
Collyers Cottages 1 to 10
Collyers Farm CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building with painted brick infilling and curved base2
Collyers FarmMain wing C17 or earlier. Ground floor red brick, above tile-hung. Previously a smallholdingII2,6
Forge CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building with plaster infilling. Previously a blacksmithsII2,6
The Garden Cottage
Gibbs Cottages 1 & 2C17 or earlier timber-framed building with painted brick infillingII2,6
Hambledon FarmRestored C16 timber-framed building with curved braces and stone rubble infilling. Previously two cottagesII2,4,6
Highstead CornerWas this Monkston Croft/Barns? Restored C17 or earlier timber-framed building. Previously a pair of Leconfield estate cottagesII2,6
Lickfold CottageHouse with unusual C18 pedimented front to an older building - C17 or perhaps C16. Known as 'Franks' in C17. The house itself is timber-framed. Has an alleged 'priest hole'.II2,4,6
The Lickfold InnMuch restored possibly C16 timber-framed building. Three bays with brick filling and a gabled crosswing of close studding. Previously called 'The Three Horseshoes'II2,4,6
Old Bakehouse
Old Shop Cottage
Rose CottageC18 or earlier. Two cottages in one building - Rose Cottage and SunshineII2,6
St Hilda’s chapelBuilt 1845. Major refurbishment 1947-8. Demolished 1976. Plaque marks its location
Shotters Cottage
Shotter's FarmC16 framing, disguised outside with brick and tile hanging. Previously Pitshill EstateII2,4,6
Slong FarmPreviously a keeper’s cottage for the Mitford Estate
SunriseC18 or earlier. Two cottages in one building - Rose Cottage and SunshineII2,6
Lodsworth Common
Bramble Cottage
Brickyard
Brickyard Cottage
Chandlers CottageChandlers Cottage (previously 'Sunnyside') and Selbourne Cottage were originally 3 labourers' thatched cottages facing onto Lodsworth Common. In 1909-10 a spark from a fire on the Common (then scrub and grazed as common land) caught the thatch and completely destroyed the eastern end leaving only the central chimney standing. Re-built as brick cottages with tiled roofs 11
Coach Cottage
Little Collyers
Oaklands
Old Brickyard
The Orchard
Prickly Nut WoodCruck-framed roundwood house built by Ben Law
Redens
River Park FarmC18. Previously two cottages II2,6
River Park Farm Cottages
Selbourne CottageChandlers Cottage and Selbourne Cottage were originally 3 labourers' thatched cottages facing onto Lodsworth Common. In 1909-10 a spark from a fire on the Common (then scrub and grazed as common land) caught the thatch and completely destroyed the eastern end leaving only the central chimney standing. Re-built as brick cottages with tiled roofs 11
SnapelandsC17 or earlier house with hipped tiled roof. In Selham parish prior to 1870II2,6
Spadgers
Stonehaven
Tooth's Cottage
Tudor CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building with plaster infilling and curved bracesII2,6
Wadlington
Winters End
Manor Farm Lane
Manor Farm
Manor Farm Cottage
Manor HouseC13/14 much restored with later alterations. Interior has massive C13 fireplace with stone hood. Built by the Bishop of London who owned the Manor during the Medieval period. The present house is likely to have been the home of the Bishop's steward, who would have administered the manor. Manorial courts would have been held there and there was a basement dungeon to hold prisoners.II*1,6
Mayfield BarnBuilt 2003 replacing previous 'Heatherly'
The Old RectoryWas the Vicarage for most of its life, replacing in 1939 the older building on Vicarage Lane
Pound CottagePreviously 'South View'
The Pound HousePreviously called ‘Domus’ and later 'The Thatched House'. The original Domus was constructed of horizontal wooden rough-edged boards and probably built in the late 1800s. That house was burnt down in the early 1900s. A brick or stucco house was built in its place and this burnt down in 1933 or 1934. A third house was built shortly after. This had a thatched roof which caught fire and burned off in the 1950s.
Robins
School Lane (including Trussler's Heath)
Beaufort Cottage
Beechfield 1 & 2Built in 1940s9
Bluebell Cottage, The CroftOne of two houses built by Kaye family in 19379
Bourne House
Buckhold
Cedar Lodge
Chapel HousePlanning approval given 1998
CocksparrowsC17 or earlier timber-framed cottage with plaster infilling. Previously owned by Cowdray estateII2,6
Croft Cottage, The CroftOne of two houses built by Kaye family in 19379
The Croft 3 to 108 new houses built in 19799
Difford HouseBuilt by Bayley Bros.13
Fair View
Farthings
HeathleighBuilt by Bayley Bros.13
Hill HousePreviously 'Hill Side'?
Hunters Cottage
Lavender HousePlanning approval given 1998
Lodsworth chapelThis little “Congregational” chapel on the edge of Trussler’s Heath was erected by Mrs Farthing, a shopkeeper. Registered for marriages between 1865 and 1943, it was demolished by the early 1960s. A small graveyard remains
OakfieldBuilt 1979 on land called 'Frenchfield'9
OakleavesBungalow built by Bayley Bros.13
Old Orchard
The Old SchoolBuilt 1845. National School opened in 1846. Officially closed in 1946 but stayed open for infants until 1951. Now a house4
Old Vining Wood
Rowan GarthBungalow built by Bayley Bros.13
Smithbrook BarnFormer garage/workshop, converted to office in 2000II
Smithbrook CottageCottage and blacksmith's shop built prior to 1814 as a copyhold property by John Stenning, wheelwright, 'on the Waste of this Manor [Lodsworth] near a certain brook called Mizbrook'
Snowdrops
StonelandsBuilt by C.J. Hurst of River and completed in 1955. Took its name from "the Stonelands Field"
SycamoresBuilt 1932 and first named 'Byways'
Upper ViningC17 or earlier farmhouse with C18 wing. Previously two cottages owned by Loves FarmII2,6
Valley ViewBungalow built by Bayley Bros. on site of two cottages13
Vining WoodBungalow built by Bayley Bros.13
WoodsideBungalow designed and built by David Bayley13
Selham Road
Barnetts Cottages 1 & 2
Barnfield Cottages 1 to 4
Fitzlea Barn
Fitzlea Cottage
Fitzlea HouseEarly C17 houseII2,6
Great Ham Mead
Hanridge
HurlandsL-shaped C17 or earlier timber-framed buildingII2,6
Hurlands Farm Cottage 1 & 2
Kipson Bank
Lods Mill CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building. Originally the mill-houseII2,6
Lodsbridge MillC18. Former mill, now a houseII2,6
Mead House
New Cottages 1 & 2
Rindles
South Heath
Sunnyside 1 & 2
The Three MolesBuilt as 'Railway Hotel' in 1872 to serve Selham Station. Renamed 'The Railway Inn' in 1873, then renamed after the three moles in the Mitford crest
Tylands
Valley Croft
Shepherds Lane
Bramble Tye
Bramley HouseBuilt on site of previous village hall which had been erected in 1926
Garth LodgeBuilt on site of previous village hall which had been erected in 1926
Holly Bank
Pinecroft
Quince Cottage
Smithbrook Hill
Redlands FarmIn Selham parish prior to 1870
Smithbrook HillBuilt by Bayley Bros. on site previously occupied by a bungalow called Squatters Cottage
The Street
AltnaharriePreviously 'Brookside'
The ArmsC17 house faced with rough plaster under slate roof. Beer house until 1956, known colloquially as 'The Grubber'II2,6
Berryfield 1 & 2
Broomhill CottageRestored C17 or earlier timber-framed pair of cottagesII2,6
Budelyn
The CottageC18. Previously a sweet shop kept by Mrs Emma TerryII2,6
EastviewBulgalow built by Bayley Bros.13
ErickersProbably early C16 with extensions in C17 and early C20. Timber-framed building with painted brick infilling. Previously a sweet and grocery shopII2,4,6
Fir Trees
Great Gulls
GreenbanksPreviously 'Genistas'
GreenlandsOne of a group of 3 houses built in 1967 by Bayley Bros.13
Hammick House
HarthangerOne of a group of 3 houses built in 1967 by Bayley Bros.13
Hazelnut Cottage
Hazel View 1, 2, 3Said to be built from bricks recycled from Petworth Gaol8
HolliersPreviously 'Kozy Cott' and prior to 1960s was 2 separate cottages
Hollist ArmsMentioned in a charter of 1425. An inn from c.1630, known in turn as 'The Crown', 'Mants' and then 'Poyntz Arms' (5,9) or C18 with C19 gabled porch (2,6)? Included a blacksmith's forge until 1945II2,4,5,6,9
Holly CottageC18. Stone rubble with red brick dressings and quoinsII2,6
Hope CottageBuilt 1995
Jasmine CottageBuilt c.1850 adjacent toan C18 barn. Flemish Bond brickwork from Lodsworth Brickworks with burnt or glazed headers in front elevation. Extended rearwards in 2000
Langham House
Little Gulls
Lodsworth CottageC17. Previously called 'Holly House'II2,6
Lodsworth LarderUnique eco-friendly building. Sussex Heritage Award Winner 2010. Architect Val Hinde, who worked alongside eco-builder and woodsman Ben Law
May CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building containing 2 cottages: May Cottage & Rockery CottageII2,6
Michaelmas CottagePreviously 'Browns Cottage'
Myrtle Cottage
Old Bakery
The Old Barn
The Old HouseBuilt in 1728. Known in 19th century as the 'Dower House'II
Old Langham FarmBuilt c.1700. Previously called 'Langham Farm' and then 'Great House'II
Old Post OfficeC18. A shoemaker's and later the Post Office. Now restored as a dwellingII2,4,6
The Old Reading RoomErected 1881 and used as a village meeting place until 1926, with the caretaken living on the premises9
Old Well HouseBuilt by 1695. Timber-framed house with mounting block at SW corner. In Manorial Court Records referred to as "Barretts" until c.1930, linked to the nursery gardens and Jasmine Cottage, which formed part of the same copyhold until 1921II2,6,10
Orchard HouseBuilt by Bayley Bros. Partly remodelled in 201313
Orchard WayBungalow built by Bayley Bros.13
Primrose CottageC17II2,6
Pump CottageBuilt 1995
River View
Rockery CottageC17 or earlier timber-framed building containing 2 cottages: May Cottage & Rockery CottageII2,6
Rose CottageDated 1664 with the initials 'ECM'II2,6
RushenC16. Originally a 4-bay timber-frame building. Called 'Bounds'; then 'The Cottage'; Miss Terry's sweet shop from 1900-1916; then 'Chandlers Cottage'. From 1966 largely new northern half added, known as 'Rushen'. Now all combined as 'Rushen'II2,6
Sapperton
The Square HousePreviously a bungalow named 'Ramleh'
Strawberry FieldsPreviously 'Lemar'. One of a group of 3 houses built in 1967 by Bayley Bros.13
The StoresPreviously a grocery and bakers
Swallow CourtBuilt by Bayley Bros. First floor extends over access to rear13
Talbot LodgeIncludes a C18 barn
UpaloftOriginally a store for the village shop. Later used for newspaper distribution3,8
Vann Cottages 1 & 2
WeaversC17 or earlier timber-framed building. Formerly two cottages. Marble slab remains from when it was a butcher' shop.II2,4,6
Whispers
Whispers Too
WoodmancoteEither before 1640 (5,9) or c.1800 (2,6), with late C19/early C20 extension? E H Sheppard spent his last years hereII2,5,6,9
Yew Tree Cottage
Vicarage Lane
Chil Cottage
LodsbottomChalet bungalow built by Bayley Bros. Previously 'Clare Cottage'13
Netherfield
The Old VicarageC18. Previously 'Lane House' and later 'Parsonage House'II2,6
Saltbarn CottageII
St. Peter's WellMid-C15 Wealden timber-framed house with later extensions, although a listed building survey states it to be C17 and at one time partly a malthouseII2,6
Well CottageII2,6

Sources of this information:

  1. A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 4: The Rape of Chichester edited by L.F. Salzman 1953
  2. British Listed Buildings Online
  3. Lodsworth in 1912 by Harry Carver
  4. Notes for a History of Lodsworth by Wilfrid Lamb 1962
  5. Lodsworth – The Story of an English Village by Martyn Hepworth & AE Marshall 1995
  6. Lodsworth Parish Plan 2004
  7. David Coward
  8. Brian Kingshott
  9. Notes to Accompany the Lodsworth Millennium Map edited by John Fellows 2001
  10. Dermot Driscoll
  11. Audrey Butler
  12. Derrick Turriff

Exploring the history of our village